What we know and don't know about the deadly Niger attack
Washington (CNN)Defense Secretary James Mattis wants answers regarding the ambush by 50 ISIS-affiliated fighters that left four US soldiers dead and two wounded in Niger two weeks ago, three senior US defense officials told CNN Wednesday. Mattis is dismayed at the lack of detailed information he has received about about the attack, but there is no indication he is trying to unduly hurry the investigation being carried out by US Africa Command, according to all three officials -- all of whom are in a position to have knowledge of how Mattis views the situation.
"This was a hard fight, this was a very tough fight," Mattis told reporters last week -- providing little detail about what multiple US officials have described to CNN as a scene of confusion on the ground during an unexpected firefight. The investigation will be an effort "to get all the facts correct," an administration official familiar with the review has told CNN. White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders was asked Wednesday whether Trump was satisfied with the information he has received about the mission and ambush. "I believe they're still looking into the details of that," Sanders replied. "But I don't think that the President can ever be satisfied when there's loss of life from men and women in uniform."